It’s been 23 years since Bill Gates said his famous prediction “Content is king”. And guess what: it is still true. High-quality, relevant, and useful content can get you the crown in your business. Brand’s blog can have a significant impact on SEO and search engine ranking; it can generate new leads, improve sales, and increase the website’s traffic.
And statistics is thinking the same way. Let’s take a look at some numbers:
- According to Hubspot, businesses using a blog as part of their content strategy get 67% more leads than those who don’t.
- Companies that published 16+ blog posts per month got almost 3.5 times more traffic than companies that published zero to four monthly posts. (Source: Hubspot)
- Hubspot also tells us that companies with blog get 97% more links to their website.
But, writing mediocre blog posts just because you’re aware that your business needs a blog, won’t do the job. Your business needs high-quality, in-depth blog posts that will speak directly to your target audience. And, writing blog posts like that can be quite challenging.
So, before you start typing your next masterpiece let’s take a look at how your blog post should be structured, and which elements it should have.
1. Compelling Headline
An attractive headline is the first step in luring the reader to read the rest of your blog post. According to Coppyblogger, 80% of your visitors will read your headline, but only 20% will go on to finish the article. This means that writing a compelling headline is a must.
And here are some tips for writing powerful headlines:
- Use specific numbers in your headline. And, if it’s possible try to use the odd ones. Why? Well, the Content Marketing Institute states that the brain seems to believe odd numbers more than even numbers.
- Make a promise. Promise your readers a solution to their problem or improvement in some part of their life.
- Use parentheses or brackets. Brian Dean from Backlinko, one of the best SEO websites, claims that brackets give people a “sneak preview” into your post and recommends using them for creating viral content.
- Put it as a question. When someone offers to show us why or how we should do something it speaks to the reasons and appeals to us.
- Incorporate keyword within your headline. You don’t want your blog post to end up lost somewhere on the web, right?
Keep in mind that writing great headlines is a skill that you can’t expect to master overnight. But, you can practice how to do it. Remember, practice makes perfect.
2. Captivating Introduction
After you make your readers past the headline, you need them to read your first sentence, and the second, and the third, all the way till the end of your post. But to make this possible, you need to captivate them with your blog intro. So, hook your readers with an irresistible introduction that will make them stick around and keep reading.
Here are some ways you can use to write captivating intros:
- Sympathize with your reader. Identify their problem and show them that you’re aware of it.
- Ask a direct question.
- Summarize the thesis you’re writing about.
- Answer the WHY. Explain what the reason behind your blog post is.
- Open up with a story. Stories make an impact, and they are memorable.
- Catch the attention with eye-opening statistics.
- State the obvious. Make your readers nod and agree with you.
3. Include data and case studies
Case studies are niche specific. They focus on your audiences’ problems and show them that you can solve those problems. And this makes you stand out as an authority.
Also, don’t forget to include relevant data and recent research. Data and research make your claims more credible. Plus, a recent study showed that statistics tend to be more persuasive, even compared with storytelling.
4. Infographics, pictures, charts, screenshots, and other visual elements
Have you noticed how top social media platforms have a lot of visual elements (Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram…)? Or how social media marketers are going toward using more and more visual content?
The reason is simple. The visual content is easier to consume, and people want to see more pictures, infographics, videos, and other types of visual content.
Visual content can make a great impact on your blog posts. According to Jeff Bulas, articles with images get 94% more total views. Just don’t use any visuals you can find. Use them wisely and keep them relevant to the content. And you’ll see improvement.
5. Quotes from experts
Including quotes in your blog posts adds authority, different voices, and engagement. With quotes, you can back up your thoughts and add credibility to your writing. Combining them with visual elements will make quotes even more appealing. Just don’t forget to give a name, and if possible, a source and hyperlink for the quote.
Some popular ways to finish your blog post include:
- Concluding with a cliffhanger. Well-written cliffhanger leaves your readers wanting more of your content. It should tease them with ideas and possibilities and shift their focus to the future content.
- Encouraging readers to comment on a blog post. You can ask about their opinion or their experience on the topic.
- Asking readers to share your post (if they find it valuable).
- Recapping the main message and summarizing the key points.
- Asking a question and starting a conversation.
With helpful CTAs you can convert blog visitors into leads. Good CTA should be connected with a blog post, and it should present a logical next step. Also, CTA motivates people to take action and focuses on value for the readers.
Here are some of the types of CTAs:
- Content upgrade
- Tweet this links (data, infographics, quotes, parts of the blog post…)
- Blog subscription offer
Usually, CTAs appear at the end of a blog post, but you can also put them anywhere you find it to be appropriate.
Writing compelling and high-quality blog posts isn’t easy, and it requires good writing skills. But knowing the structure of a great blog post can make it easier.
A blog post is your chance to communicate with your audience. With it, you can answer their questions, help them to solve their problems and eventually turn them into leads. So make sure to put enough effort to create a perfect blog post.